Friday, May 28, 2010

My Movie Review: Prince of Persia The Sands of Time



































My Movie Review: Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
3/5

Opening Statements: Based off the very popular video game series (all games I have played and beat) Prince of Persia The Sands of Time is the story of Prince Dastan a prince who during a battle comes in possession of a mystical dagger that can turn back time in moments. This dagger is key to destruction, destruction some people wanna get there hands on (no spoilers).

What's Good: Not up to the games standard, but honorable none-the-less. The action is slick in Prince of Persia, the parkor is fun, The overall premise is well thought out by Jordan Mechner the writer of the original game. The Sands of Time ultimately isn't a cliche' historical action film. It isn't even historical fiction, it is straight up fiction, which is why I won't bitch about the accents, or about the historical or geographical accuracy like most critics do. Also a lot of critics believe the premise of the dagger going back in moments is just a set up to redo mistakes in gameplay. There really is much more to the story than that, that is what makes the games so interesting, not the fact that you running up walls constantly but the fact you want to know what happens next in this amazing story. Let me also state every actor in this film did great. Any negativity in the acting means the critic didn't like the character. All these characters made me care. To extents.

What's Bad: Everyone says it is the story and the substance....the story is great, but the storytelling is weak. They chose the wrong things to change between making the adaption from the game. Some of the dialogue went on to long and honestly didn't give us time to care. The video game kept you in chills. There aren't any chills in the film. I think I am pretty bias having played the games, but did I mention that I don't care. Because I am at an advantage having played the game, I see the story beneath the storytelling. The reminder of the amazing adventure. Also I blame some of it on Bruckheimer. I usually don't bash any specific film maker, Bruckeheimer is one of those sleezy producers who just uses money to make money with film. The director behind it Newell is an artist, he did great with Harry Potter movies, his cinematography is beautiful, everything is well shot, however he was forced to add in the CGI effects and weak screenplay which was probably written around Bruckeheimer who would rather spend money on explosions than a decent script.

Consensus: As a veteran to the game I think it is worthy, but not of high honors to the game series. However for people who haven't you will get either one of two things and that is cheesiness that you dislike or cheesiness you embrace and love.










No comments:

Post a Comment