Friday, May 21, 2010

Cannes Film Festival: Not So Impressive this year.

CANNES FILM FESTIVAL: Not So Impressive This Year.
By Matthew Wade Durham

I have not yet seen any film that has or will be played in the Cannes Film Festival. So this is basically an opinon topic, to take with a grain of salt. The Cannes Film Festival is undoubtedly the biggest film festival in the world. This year they kicked off the festival with Ridley Scott's Robin Hood. Robin Hood got moderately low mixed reviews from the American critics alone. Pretty much didn't stand a chance up against the hardcore movie buff Cannes critics. These critics basically take anything you'd look at and say it is average and they slap a 1/4 rating on it. Very strict. So Robin Hood wasn't exactly the best start, then as American what arouses our interest is Oliver Stones Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps. A sequel from the amazing classic starring Michael Douglas. It has mixed reviews as well, some are much higher than normal though, possible oscar bait maybe for the acting.
Three other films grab my interest as of now, all 3 have had rave reviews. Am I dying to see this movies? Not really. In fact I probably won't see any of them. We have Javier Bardem's Biutiful. This has may interest primarily because Bardem is a fantastic actor. Then we have Mike Leigh's Another Year. I haven't read much into this film, but the reviews are pretty positive. And finally we have Blue Valentine. Starring Ryan Gosling. I like Ryan Gosling and he is over due for an Oscar. Maybe this could be his break....doubtful.
I have almost lost all my interest in this festivale by now. I am more interested in what has been going on in America's blockbuster season. Which is dark times for film. The time where movie makers sell out. Oh well Prince of Persia, Inception, and Last Airbender here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment