Tuesday, May 4, 2010

5 films that WORK in 3D

A couple weeks back, top-notch film critic Roger Ebert wrote out an article complaining about how 3D is a complete abomination. In many ways I agree with Roger Ebert. However there has been a couple films and I will state, work in 3D perhaps enhancing for a better movie experience than in 2D.

Here's my retaliation with 5 films that WORKED in 3D

5- Spy Kids 3D
Hold on, stop insulting me. I KNOW it was a bad movie from a bad unmemorable series. However I did see this at a younger age, and I was wow'd by the 3D. It was obviously a scam for money, but where else could they have gone with Spy Kids one and two. No where, this is the best and most entertaining of the trilogy primarily because the 3D, put it in 2D, its fails even harder then it's two predecessors.

4- Pixar's Up
The 3D wasn't necessary to absorb the magical, emotional spirit of Up. However it contributed to it visually. Pixar's animated films do well because they don't settle for lame kid jokes like most animated films, what makes a truly great animated picture is its beauty and how it presents itself. Pixar's first 3D film didn't show off 3D techniques but just made everything look livelier. I enjoyed it very much.

3- My Bloody Valentine in 3D
HAHAHAHA. I'm serious. This movie is hysterical. The negative reviews came from critic's thinking it was taking itself to seriously, how can you say it's being serious when a naked ladies breasts are coming at you in 3D as she's running. This was entertaining to see an R rated gorey horror film like this. As a film My Bloody Valentine succeeds on many levels. The 3D adds to the comedy, and to an R-rated three dimension not many people have yet experienced.

2- Avatar
3D isn't necessary to admire Cameron's bedazzling special effects. However if you have the extra money, it is well worth it to see one of the greatest 3D experiences in cinema history. Avatar was never about it's cheesy story, or it's fake dramatic depth. More or less a picture to help us understood how far we have come in the past 40 years in visual effects, and it makes you wonder where we will be at in 30 years. The 3D is beautiful in this film.

1- How to Train Your Dragon
I know I might be bias because it just came out. But while watching this I never was irritated with the usual things wearing those 3D glasses. Of course Dreamworks animated films have never been up to Pixar standards, this film surpasses many Pixar works, the only four I don't think it surpasses as a film is Up, Finding Nemo, Ratatouille, and Toy Story. Visually however, the 3D pulls you in to the adventure, the flight of the dragon, the beautiful sky, the water. It is truly amazing, almost like witnessing those sights themselves.

In many cases I do not support the third dimension. I hate the extra cost, I never recycle my glasses at the end because I paid an extra 3 dollars for them. A law should be passed that you are aloud to take old 3D glasses to the film, maybe then it won't get so much hate. For now 3D is what is big in the movie world, unfair to other films but true. And if a company is going to put their film in 3D the should watch the five above to learn something on how the 3D impacts their film.







No comments:

Post a Comment