Sunday, May 2, 2010

My Movie Review: I Love You, Phillip Morris















































My Movie Review: I Love You, Phillip Morris
4/5

Opening Statement: An interesting true story about a man who leads a life of deceit. Phillip Morris was a happily married christian man whenever he turned gay and divorced his wife. He lived a life as a con man and was arrested on multiple occasions. Also was really smart at escaping prison. He meets a man in prison named Phillip Morris (Ewan McGregor). He instantly falls in love, but his life of lying complicates there relationship.

What's Good: This is a smart comedy. At times it has a pretty dramatic tone to it as well. Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor give some of the best performances of their careers. Oscar-worthy if you ask me. It is nice to see these actors taking on a role that requires a complete change in there normal typecast. Especially Carrey, he is perfect for this role. Yes, this is based on a true story which makes it all the more interesting. At first the movie throws a lot of autobiographically comedy at you from the character that Steven Russell was. It is funny, and I laughed many times. As the movie moves on you come to the realization that you are following someone who has a problem with habitually lying even when it hurts the ones he loves. This is a very human movie, and very moving at times. Granted, it is not for everyone. I liked it. I liked it a lot.

What's Bad: The story often changes pace, which is usual with autobiographically movie, at first we get a nice montage of who Steven Russell is then we gradually discover his prison and con life, then he meets Phillip Morris and the love story unfolds. This is where the pace is slow. After this he starts living with Phillip outside prison then he is caught again, then we enter the final montage of Steven Russell. Trust me I didn't spoil anything in that.

Consensus: If you love Carey and McGregor and would like to see them act their hearts out, see this. It is also pretty funny, but like I said it is not for everyone, not because it is a homosexual movie, but because the comedy isn't like normal Jim Carrey comedy, it is smarter in my opinon. You be the judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment