Sunday, November 8, 2009

My Movie Review: The Men Who Stare at Goats


My Movie Review: The Men Who Stare at Goats
By Wade Durham

The Gist: A sort of true story about a governement funded operation invovling psychic spies who fight with there minds in the process of good will, however as a reporter (Ewan McGregor) decides to pursue the story behind it all, rough things happen. The Film itself never really gets to the point of comedy you want it to or the point of drama, the actors seem to do all the work, but sometimes it seems like they are trying to hard. The comedy in Men Who Stare at Goats is the big picture behind the whole thing, sometimes added in is a couple slapstickish unnecessary comedy that drifts apart from the main theme of the story. I will say this for it though it is original, and it did make me laugh in areas. The acting from each star was borderline oscar worthy, but none of there bests...not even close. I expected a lot more from a Grant Heslov film with these actors, I kind of feel betrayed that the story never lived up to its potential. But if you had to ask me i'd say its worth a look at. I think a lot going into this review is the fact that it ultimately let me down.



2.5/5 Ok Review.

ACTING: No doubt the best part of the film is seeing these usually serious actors acting unreasonably goofy, its pleasing to the mind. However I think they should never do it again.

EFFECTS: Nothing much to really say about the effects, they were good but they didn't attempt at anything that could be fucked up.

STORYLINE: For some reason I bet the book is excellent, and yes it is true our government trained psychic spies, but the whole movie is exaggerated, which is not bad but the route they took was to forgettable and the story could've unfolded in many different/ better directions.

MUSIC/SCORE: Boston is a pretty good band. This is true. The score however I thought seemed too Dany Elfman-ish for the situations. The score did succeed in some areas, but failed in others.

No comments:

Post a Comment