Saturday, December 18, 2010

2011 HFPA Golden Globe Nominees Film Musical or Comedy.

             I'm sure you all have heard some sort of outrage toward the Golden Globes before. This year it is much more noticeable. They are a joke. Don't get me wrong, I have always found the Golden Globes intriguing, specifically for the Musical or Comedy category. A lot of people complain comedies don't get enough attention by the AMPAS, so we have this category. If you followed my GG predictions I only got 10% (1) of the films right predicted in the category (one that shouldn't've been there anyway.)
            So let's talk about these movies. Alice in FUCKING Wonderland. Mixed reviews by the general audience, however my review was extremely negative. I respect everyone's opinion by I stand by my statement that Alice in Wonderland is the WORST FILM OF THE YEAR (besides Vampire's Suck.) I gave it 1 courtesy star for mild creativity. I remember walking in a theater and seeing the poster for this movie, Johnny Depp's big face in makeup saying that he will be the Mad-Hatter. First of all how big was this character in the original story? Not big at all and Depp gets top billing. Why? Cause he's Johnny fucking Depp. Who cares about Mia Wasiwowska playing "Alice" in "Alice in Wonderland."
            I thought she did good with the role, she's a very talented actress, I thought Alice in Wonderland was all made with money in mind. Hot Topic- tweenies are saying while watching "Oh something out of the ordinary happened it's unique like me!" This is artificial creativity from Burton a very talented director who has sold out for remakes and reboots.
              I could talk for hours about how much I hate this film, and it scores a BEST PICTURE nomination. OF THE YEAR. Also giving Depp a nomination as LEAD actor for his portrayal as the Hatter. I wasn't too pissed about this though, the film received around a 53% rotten tomatoes, more than half the people who saw it actually liked it, I will never understand why but they did. Still a 53% getting a BEST PICTURE of the Year nod, for comedy, did we really have so many awful comedies this year?
           Let me escape to the next film nominated, Burlesque. I haven't seen this movie and have no desire to. It looks appealing to a specific audience, but that's about it. Of course I can't say anything personally critical until I have seen it myself. However, the tomato meter reads rotten again. This time lower than Alice. 39% brutal reviews. Only 39% of hundreds of certified critics who saw it didn't like it. Yet, it gets nominated as a BEST PICTURE OF THE WHOLE DAMN YEAR. I will explain why exactly it get nominated when I get to talking about 'The Tourist' toward the end. They share similar reasoning.
             'The Kids are All Right' this is actually a great film that I scored a 4/5 to. However I am mad at this film. I am not a professional critic (obvious by the blog address) but most professional critics have this in top 10 lists and it is looking at an Oscar nomination for Best Picture. I do a top 20 at the end of the year, and I still have a couple films to see. Unfortunately this one is at 21 right now. Still it is a great film, and it deserves to win this award. (Maybe give some faith back to the HFPA.)
              The next nominee I haven't seen either. I might someday though. It is called "Red" aka Retired Extremely Dangerous. An action film with Bruce Willis, Helen Mirren, Morgan Freeman, and John Malkovich. This film scored high reviews from critics actually. More of a kind of summer blockbuster flick, but I am perfectly content with this getting a nod.
               The FUCKING Tourist. This is where I draw the line. No, I have not seen this film, but I already made up my mind a couple months ago that I wouldn't. Trailers made it look bland. Had some potential though. Finally it is released scoring around a 19% on RT. That is ridiculously low. No film that much hated should ever receive a BEST PICTURE nomination of any sort for any genre. Two reasons though the HFPA selected this film to be nominated. 1- We can nominated the film and Jolie/ Depp get some big starts there. More people will watch the Golden Globes if Jolie is there. Most nominees names aren't big enough. Eisenberg, Gosling, Bening, Moore, ect. They are big and we all know who each actor I mentioned is, but still. 2- It was just released. Last year 'It's Complicated' was nominated in this category, but had mixed reviews. My theory is this, "They didn't fucking watch it" they assumed with the big names it would get good reviews and it didn't. This is probably the biggest fail in awards history. 'Burlesque' is also a recent title so we remember it more.

                Let's talk about some films that should've got in. 'Get Him to the Greek' over 80% on RT. 'Cyrus' over 80% on RT, 'Greenberg' over 70% on RT, 'I Love You Phillip Morris' over 70% on RT. 'The Other Guys' over 70% on RT. We also have Please Give, Easy A, Kick-Ass, or even Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. A lot of these films I listed are either Independent (won't gain viewers for the GG ceremony.) or they didn't do well enough at the box office (Kick-Ass, Scott Pilgrim.) or they simply just came out to early in the year.
               When I did my predictions I had a though in my head that since people are voting for this, they will vote for the movies they liked. I doubt voters even saw half these films. Which the whole reason i'm typing this long article is because as a filmmaker and a storyteller, it pains me to see how Hollywood money is of greater importance than the art of storytelling. Tim Burton sits in a room given Alice in Wonderland over night draws up some weird things and have advertisers put Johnny Depp posters up everywhere, and this gets a nomination for Best Picture over Greenberg, a story Noah Baumbach wrote and worked hard on about a man overcoming arrogance. Or Kick-Ass which squeezed what they could out of a small budget and created what could've been an over-the-top teen comedy but was presented with sincere human drama, and pure adventure.
                  HFPA really screwed up on this one, Really. It is a pointless award show, and I encourage everyone to flip the channel when it comes award day.

No comments:

Post a Comment