Monday, October 11, 2010

My Movie Review: Buried














































My Movie Review: Buried
4/5

Opening Statement: Rodrigo Cortes directs usually comedic actor Ryan Reynolds into a very intense dramatic situation. Paul Conroy is our only seen character in this picture as we stay with his experience in being buried alive with nothing but a couple glow sticks, lighter, pocket knife, and most importantly a cell phone that unfortunately is dying.


What's Good: Ryan Reynolds gives without question the best performance of his career. Through these particular phone conversations we begin learning more about Conroy, what kind of protagonist is this? Spalding's screenplay keeps the character flawed but at the same time maintains the audiences sympathy toward him. You root for him every step of the way, you feel claustrophobic and you understand every single panic attack that comes his way. Cortes uses some eye candy cinematography that for the most part does the film great justice and helps the atmosphere of emotion. Not leaving the box was the most brilliant directorial decision. Cortes stayed true to Spalding's screenplay for the most part. Occasionally we question Conroy's actions but then we realize that we wouldn't act much different put in this scenario. Ultimately, Buried is a very VERY tragic story with very precise characterization for Conroy that ultimate pulls sympathy out from us. Brilliant originality in a film world filled with adaptations, remakes, reboots, and re-imaginings.


What's Bad: It's not a fun experience. It's a fantastic film that I will probably never see again. While it gives the audience an emotion that it wants to, and succeeds, those particular emotions are uncomfortable. Claustrophobia, fear, helplessness, and many more emotions swam through my body. Never a dull moment, but mostly you feel worried, you can't help this man because it is a movie he is about to meet a fate you can't prevent though you wish you could. These are the exact emotions the screenplay and movie called for and I wouldn't have it any other way. It's simply not fun, it is tragic, and it is an amazing experience I think you should have.


The Rant: Buried is a very original film. Originality doesn't come to often anymore. My rant today is mainly about criticism toward originality itself. For most critics a film can NOT be too normal or it is "cliche'" which is understandable, except that sometimes cliche could  be reprising a fairly positive response for example The Blind Side, I found this film to be a highly cliche sports flick, but I did like it mainly because the no matter how similar the heart was I still felt it. If it is too normal it is cliche, if a film is too original it is "pretentious." Pretentious and cliche are the most abused words from film critics. I do not believe anything can be pretentious in this day of age. I loved Richard Kelly's Southland Tales, critics didn't called it "pretentious" for me I liked it simply because there is nothing out there like it.  I do not believe in criticizing originality no matter how over the top the creator's imaginations are in a world where there are only a handful of original films a year.


Oscar Possibilities: Needs more recognition. However if it gets that it could get: Editing, Cinematography and the most likely would be Actor for Ryan Reynolds. (The Academy is strict though)


Consensus: Originally scripted and well-crafted Buried is a great experience and its nice to see Reynolds can really act. However, it is not a fun experience and I will probably never see it again.

3 comments:

  1. I take my hat off to the author of this article. Well done.
    ------------------------------------------
    alesum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reviews. I am going to watch this film tonight only. My friends will be happy to know about this film.
    Buried Movie

    ReplyDelete