Sunday, September 26, 2010

My Movie Review: The Town

My Movie Review: The Town
3.5/5

Opening Statement: Ben Affleck and friends are back in Boston, this time they are causing serious bank robberies. After their first robbery the take a hostage temporarily, played by Rebecca Hall, after she is released Affleck follows her around for a bit and eventually falls for her. As FBI Agent, played by John Hamm, is closing in on the group, and Affleck plans on leaving, they are dragged into another couple robberies.

What's Good: You won't be robbed spending money on this film. Affleck has once again he is a story teller. Still an average actor, but under his own direction can only help him shine. Performance wise Renner (The Hurt Locker) as his friend is spectacular. I toss the term "Oscar-worthy" a lot this time of year. But I think Renner has a shot at a spot for supporting actor. The ensemble does its job well, the story is what is really compelling. There is not stops for bizarre emotional symbolism (which I usually like if done right) but more so a straight forward story. With mind-ful action, not mindless. There is one of the greatest car chases in cinema in this movie, they don't show off their action to much, but each action scene is done more beautifully than I thought one could be. 

What's Bad:I will have to admit, while the whole film is eye candy and fun entertainment. I don't think I had the full effect of the drama. We have this very tense (actually feels tense) scenarios of robberies. Then we have our main character, Affleck talking about making a change, and wanting to leave. I am not saying this shouldn't have been in the movie, I just thought it need a little more drama to the situation. I didn't feel for Affleck's character fully I was rooting for the robberies to be successful and for him to make it off with Hall's character, the direction the story took was fine, but there wasn't enough emotion toward Affleck's goal.

The Rant: None.

Oscar Possibilities: Best Picture, Supporting Actor: Renner, Editing, Art Direction, Cinematography

Consensus: The Town is highly entertaining, and its story pushes forward with full interest. A lot is owed to Affleck's excellent direction.









No comments:

Post a Comment