Wednesday, August 4, 2010

My Movie Review: Winter's Bone






































My Movie Review: Winter's Bone
4.5/5

Opening Statement: Based on a novel by Daniel Woddrell of the same name, Winter's Bone is the gritty story of a 17 year old girl played by Jennifer Lawrence who has been taking care of her sick mother and younger siblings. Her father is no where to be found, and when he doesn't show for a court date the house is up for grabs. Now this young girl is on a mission to journey through her corrupt, drug-peddling family in order to find the truth to where her father exactly is.


What's Good: The little film that could. This very well-done adaption conveys so much strong emotion and characterizations. One thing that truly stood out to me was the cinematography and art/ set direction. From every magnet on the refrigerator, to the broken down cars sitting in the front lawns. This is one beautiful, oscar-worthy film. Never have I felt a place was so real. It is easy to convey sets/ art to things the average American doesn't know much about though. This a realistic depiction of the dark side of the country in the United States of America. There is very little music/ score to maintain the ominous mood. There is one sequence toward the end that really feels disgusting and dirty. The fact that you learn to care so much for these characters, mainly our protagonist Ree, only makes you hurt more inside whenever dark truths get revealed along the way. Lawrence and Hawkes really drew my attention to their acting. I couldn't tell you a movie either of them have been in off the top of my head, however I want to see them in many things to come. These are top notch Oscar calibur performances. Theses actors aren't just acting, this is real. I can barely tell the difference. The film was directed by Debra Granik, she's newer to the movie scene, and another powerful female director, much like Bigelow for The Hurt Locker. 


What's Bad: It may feel a little slow at first, or a little too cliche' independent style with its symbolism. However the more you think about it, the more Winter's Bone feels like its own movie. 


The Rant: Give it a chance. I know with ADD action packed films out there like Salt and Sorcerer's Apprentice you are going to put Winter's Bone on the back burner. That really makes me sad. Please listen to me when I say SEE THIS MOVIE. I beg you to see it, do your self a favor and save yourself from the Transformers 3 and Twilight cult!


Consensus: Winter's Bone makes for a perfect adaptation by using forms of tone, mood and depth in methods that I have never seen before.

No comments:

Post a Comment